The Manor & Grounds » Sulgrave Village
The fourteenth century church, where Lawrence Washington, the builder of Sulgrave Manor, and his eldest son lie buried, has much of interest to offer the visitor, including the Washington family pew, memorial brasses to Lawrence Washington, his wife and eleven children, and marble wall tablets in memory of the Hodges family, who owned the Manor for a long time. The church lies at the western end of this pretty village that is made up of stone-built house and thatched roofs.
Some of the finest examples are The Thatched House immediately facing the entrance drive to the Manor and Dial House, a beautiful farmhouse with a stone porch, mullioned windows, sundial on its gable and a datestone bearing the legend 1636.
The Star Inn is halfway down Manor Road, with its tall signpost decorated with wrought iron. The Corner House is situated at the junctions of the Helmdon Road, Little Street, Church Lane and School Street, with its datestone in the gable end JCE 1779 and Rectory Farmhouse dating from about 1640 is found at the bottom end of Little Street.
For more on the village of Sulgrave please visit the village's web site , and for more on visitor attractions in the surrounding area please telephone Brackley Tourist Information Centre on 01280 700711.